The government of Germany has on September 20 2006 proposed a new draft law on cybercrime aiming to close any remaining loopholes.
Current Penal Code
Section 202a. Data Espionage:
(1) Any person who obtains without authorization, for himself or for another, data which are not meant for him and which are specially protected against unauthorized access, shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or to a fine .
(2) Data within the meaning of subsection 1 are only such as are stored or transmitted electronically or magnetically or in any form not directly visible.
Section 303a. Alteration of Data
(1) Any person who unlawfully erases, suppresses, renders useless, or alters data (section 202a(2)) shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or to a fine.
(2) The attempt shall be punishable.
Section 303b. Computer Sabotage
(1) Imprisonment not exceeding five years or a fine shall be imposed on any person who interferes with data processing which is of essential importance to another business, anothers enterprise or an administrative authority by:
1. committing an offense under section 300a(1) or
2. destroying, damaging, rendering useless, removing, or altering a computer system or a data carrier.